Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 59 - Harpers Ferry, Z-lite and Veal Scallopini Saltimbocca

July 13 - Harpers Ferry, WV to Dahlgreen Backpackers Campground - 17.9 miles


Went to the Appalachian Trail Center (ATC) today for the routine mid-way photo. Almost every hiker who passes through Harpers Ferry will get their photo taken outside the historic building here.

Found a scale at the outfitter and tossed my pack on. I'm ultralight! My pack weight (base weight) is 11.1 lbs. This is partly due to the fact that I bought the ThermaRest Z-Lite mattress pad (closed cell foam) at 10oz and sent home the more comfortable Big Agnes (19oz). It's great because the Z-lite is my sleeping pag, frame for my pack, seat cushion, yoga mat and fills space when I need it to.

Bought some insoles from Walmart - they would have lasted just fine if we didn't get poured on again. I cut the insoles in half and tore apart the Montrail ones to make them last a few more days.


Had a gourmet (I mean $24-40/meal type restaurant) at the Old South Inn. I had Veal Scallopini Saltimbocca and New York Cheese Cake. Though it was expensive, the memory was priceless.

2 comments:

  1. Travis, What do you wear when stopping at a place such as Old South Inn? Or, are all of the restaurants along the AT very accepting of thru hikers, no matter their attire?
    Been enjoying your blog. Say "hi" to Jake.
    Mrs. Butch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wore out "camp/sleeping" clothes, which always tend to have a few days less of stench on them :p We all had black wind pants and long sleeve grey shirts.

      Delete