Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 37 - Woodshole Hostel

June 21 - Jenny Knob Shelter to Woodshole Hostel - 20.4 + 6.5 + .5 = 27.4

Forgot the cellphone at Watipi Shelter so I ran back to get it... in the rain. Ran about 6.5 miles total as I had thought that I had overshot the shelter, retraced my steps, and then realized I had not gone far enough. Add 6 miles to a 21 mile day was a first for me.

Bummer right? Add in a huge mountain that we had already scaled just minutes previously. Fortunately, my trekking companions offered to wait and watch my pack as I ran back.

Flying down the mountain, clad in nothing but the Jubilees was a surreal experience. On my return up the mountain I saw two little old ladies who were probably in their late 60s headed down the mountain, precariously stepping on the uneven terrain. As I approached them they politely asked "How far to the shelter?" My response without breaking stride: "About 8 minutes if you start running."

Upon returning to the Party Train, I told my boys that I would buy them all milkshakes as a thank you for waiting the 50 minutes it took. What would have been a 20.4 mile day turned into a 27.4 mile day instead. Thus, upon arriving at Woodshole Hostel you can only imagine my relief and gratitude at arriving here. Woodshole Hostel is more of a self-sufficiency home that shelters weary hikers and is a cooperative. The atmosphere here was outstanding. Michael ('05 thru-hiker) and Neville own and operate this quaint adobe. From the outside shower to walking in and seeing Michael building a pig pen was pretty cool. Samwise and I were fortunate enough to help with dinner, chopping onions, broccoli, garlic and adding spices to the dishes. It was a great break from hiking.





No comments:

Post a Comment