Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 51 - Bears!!!

July 5 – Waynesboro, VA to Blackrock Hut – 20.0 miles


The Party Train entered Shenandoah National Park (SNP) today! Saw three bears roughly 10 miles in. I spotted the first two cubs scampering up a tree about 75 feet away. Since I was leading the Party Train I had to put the brakes on and inform my team of the spotting. We moved on quickly knowing Mama Bear was probably lingering nearby.



Not even 10 minutes later, we saw another bear, right on the Appalachian Trail. This guy was a younger male and would not get off the trail. After tossing a few rocks and making some loud noises (singing and yelling obscene things) he ran off.

Besides bears, we saw two bucks, one a 10-pointer about 15 feet away. I think i'm going to pick up hunting when I return to civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment