Monday, October 10, 2011

AT Statistics

I'm a numbers guy. I collect statistics on my caloric intake, the mileage on my shoes and just about anything else that I deem quantifiable. Here are some basic stats from the hike:

Duration: 3 months, 28 days (121 days)

Started hiking: May 16th, 2011
Finished hiking: September 13th, 2011

2,181 / 121 days = 18.02 miles per day
2,181 / 117 days = 18.64 miles per day (only hiking days)

840th hiker to leave Amicalola Falls State Park (Georgia)
797th hiker to reach Harpers Ferry, roughly the half-way point (West Virginia)
312th hiker to reach - Baxter State Park, where Katahdin resides (Maine)
-Passed a total of 528 people from start to finish

Shoes:
Inov-8 X-Talon 212 - stellar treads, like a snow tire, minimalist support, good lacing system, sizing difficult, get 1/2 size larger.
Mileage: 0-135 = 135 miles

Brooks Cascadia 6 - loved this shoe. great tread, lasted almost 600 miles.
Mileage: 135-719.9 = 584.9

Vasque Mindbender - got a lot of mileage, decent tread, fit snug and firm but not too tight. form fitting. fairly lightweight
Mileage: 719.9-1285.3 = 565.4

Montrail AT + - great shank, really firm and solid on the PA rocks and roots. Crushed the top of my toes though.
Mileage: 1285.3-1440.1 = 154.8

Mizuno Wave Ascend 6 - comfortable shoe, I have two pairs of Elixir 4's with 1000 miles each. The tread only held up for 200 miles though, before it was falling off, not even wearing down.
Mileage: 1440.1-1739.2 = 299.1

Merrell ATR Seismic - the insole on the heel was too narrow for my foot, which when it grew slightly it rubbed up against the side, causing blisters and calluses to form.
Mileage: 1739.2-1792 = 52.8

Merrell Chameleon Stretch 3 - vibram sole, fantastic tread. never had any issues slipping or gaining traction. fit was alright though I did have some blisters form on the heel though that may have been due to getting the shoe tight enough so that it did not slide around. with the cinch lacing system it was a little more difficult to get a snug fit.
Mileage: 1792-1883.1 = 91.1

Pearl Izumi Peak XC - definitely a trail runner, not a trail hiking shoe. The mesh was torn apart very quickly and large holes started appearing. comfortable though!
Mileage: 1883.1-2181 = 297.9

Best day: Hitch with Dr. John or our lakeside cabin stay in Rangeley
Worst Day: Day 71 or Day 117
Best Scene: Grayson Highlands or Height Mountain
Most difficult section: Pennsylvania

Because I have an ultralight pack I can justify carrying the following:
  • 750ml bottle of Lovingston Wine (30 miles, just under 2 lbs)
  • 2 pounds of Old WI Summer Sausage
  • 1 pound can of Boiled Green Peanuts
  • Inflated Beach Ball
  • Biscuits 'n gravy in a ziplock bag
  • 1 pound of bell peppers

1 comment:

  1. Travis,
    While walking my dog yesterday I ran into Jake walking and got to hear about your great trip. I'm his neighbor and work at UW-L in University Communications. Our department produces The Lantern, formerly known as the Alumnus magazine. This weekend, I read all of your and Jake's blog entries. Awesome. I'm going to mention your trip to The Lantern editor and hope that we can follow up with a story ... this is if you and Jake want to share it. In any case, your blog makes me wish I were younger, but then again, I'm much younger than simmer on ... so I guess I'm young enough! I'll try to connect with you soon. Sue Lee, slee@uwlax.edu, 608.785.8497. Feel free to call or email me in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete