Saturday, May 14, 2011

Appalachian Trail Preparation

Hello World! I am embarking on my Appalachian Trail Thru Hike today (actually starting Monday, the 16th) but I wanted to enlighten you to this new endeavor before I depart.

Since this is my first “real” hike, I am experiencing a plethora of different emotions, ranging from excited, to anxious to nervous and everything in between. Hiking itself is pretty straightforward… it is just walking but to attempt a 2,178 mile hike requires a little bit of planning and preparation. Between the logistics of getting mail drops of food and cold weather clothes, accumulating all of the right gear (lightweight and multi-purpose) and taking care of finances, this trip has been the equivalent of a 4-credit course. Even so, with all of the planning we have done, Jake and I are ready to begin.

Here are a few pics of the Mail Drop boxes and the entire contents of my pack:



Snowcat alcohol stove with a 2-Quart Open Country pot



Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment